Saturday, September 7, 2013

The Art of Nurturing: A Photographic Breastfeeding Porject

My first session creating my new passion project began with a lovely couple Kyla and Wyatt and their beautiful four month old baby boy. I felt a sacredness in photography Kyla with baby in arms feeding on her breast. I started the first shot with window light having her gaze out the window thinking about her profound roll as a mother. It makes me tear up to know what women are capable of doing. With the ability to nurture children just as Mother Earth nurtures us, is a stunning role to be given in this world of turmoil.

I journal everyday to ask myself why I am doing whatever project I have chosen. The answers unfold as I walk the path of each project. Where will it lead me? Who will I meet along the way to mirror a momentary transformation in both of our lives. The stories from women on the phone or when I meet them in person are profoundly magical. I feel blessed, once again, to embark on another creative journey.

This is one of my favorite portraits from the session. Although, I will be using another portrait for the gallery show and I want that to be a surprise!


To all my passionate women photographers! Join me for an amazing creative retreat in the mountains above Los Angeles, September 18-22, 2013. For information and to sign up, http://maryannhalpinretreats.com/. When you register now, get $100 discount by adding the code: creative

No comments: