Saturday, March 21, 2009

April is Autism Awareness Month

Photobucket


With one out of 65 children living with autism, we have a serious problem.  Nancy Alspaugh, friend and co-author of my photo/essay book, Fearless Women:Midlife Portraits, and her husband, Read Jackson are living with this challenge. They adopted a beautiful boy, Wyatt who has autism. They are working 24/7 to help Wyatt heal and reverse his condition. I wrote about them in my blog in August 2007. Since then Wyatt has made great progress. 

Look for the LA Parent April issue where you will see some images I took of Nancy, Read and Wyatt. It's a "Day in a Life..." piece. It was so interesting and inspiring to spend the afternoon with them seeing how much goes into healing a child with Autism. 

Nancy is now executive director of ACT Today for Autism www.act-today.org. Every year she and her husband, Read, host a fundraiser, Denim and Diamonds. ACT Today exists to help families who need assistance in paying for care and treatment.   

As part of my commitment to help spread awareness and fundraise for Act Today I am offering an incentive for those who want to have a portrait taken. For the month of April, 25% of my sitting fee will go to ACT Today for Autism. Please check out the ad that appears above. This also will be published in the LA Parent April issue.

No comments: